The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ernährung e.V. ( German Nutrition Society ) – also known as DGE for short – is an independent scientific German professional society whose aim is to promote, evaluate and publish nutritional research. It also provides nutrition counseling and education to serve the public’s health.
The DGE stands behind a whole-food diet. What this should look like is summarized in the 10 rules of the DGE.
The 10 nutrition rules of the DGE at a glance:
- Enjoying food diversity: Eating a varied diet and giving preference to predominantly plant-based foods.
- Vegetables and fruits – take 5 a day: At least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruits should be eaten daily. This also includes legumes as well as nuts and seeds.
- Choose whole grains: Grain products such as bread, pasta, rice and the like should be enjoyed in the whole grain variety.
- Supplement the selection with animal foods: Milk and dairy products can be consumed daily, fish should be limited to 1-2x per week. If meat is eaten, then no more than 300-600 g per week.
- Use fats that are beneficial to health: Vegetable oils should be preferred. Attention should be paid to hidden fats in convenience foods, sweets, sausage, etc.
- Cut down on sugar and salt: Foods added with a lot of salt or sugar should be avoided.
- Drinking water is best: 1.5 liters should be drunk daily – preferably water or unsweetened teas. Sugar-sweetened and alcoholic beverages are not recommended.
- Prepare gently: Food should be cooked with as little water and fat as possible. Avoid frying, grilling, deep-frying or burning food.
- Eat mindfully and enjoy: Sufficient time when eating and thorough chewing are very important.
- Watch your weight and keep moving: A wholesome diet complements physical activity perfectly. Not only should exercise be done regularly, but attention should also be paid to an active daily routine.
If you have any questions about the DGE’s 10 nutritional rules, you can either leave us a comment or feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy!
That was: The 10 nutrition rules of the DGE