South Tyrolean Kaiserschmarren with natural sourdough and pear compote
(12 hours preparation time)
I don’t add any additional sweetness to my Kaiserschmarrn dough because the raisins and bourbon vanilla bring a sweet taste and yes, a sweet compote is always eaten with it. Try it out. I’ve been able to convince even my most sugar-addicted guests.”
- 250 g Khorasan wheat (Kamut) freshly ground
- 350 ml raw milk
- 1 tablespoon spelt or wheat sourdough starter
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured raisins
- 5 eggs
- ½ tsp bourbon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter, goose fat or coconut oil
- Honey, maple syrup or powdered sugar
- 1 kg ripe pears, alternatively apples or plums
- 1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients (except 3 egg whites) with a hand mixer and stir in the flour at the end.
- Let the dough rest covered with a plate at room temperature for 12 hours.
- Keep the egg whites in the refrigerator, we need them just before frying.
- Beat the 3 egg whites from the refrigerator with a pinch of salt and fold into the prepared batter.
- Now divide the dough into two portions and fry the Kaiserschmarrn with a heaping tablespoon of clarified butter each.
- Turn dough and with two wooden spoons “chop” him. Golden brown it is ready and can be served with homemade compote and cream kefir.
- If you still need some sweetness, a touch of powdered sugar, maple syrup or honey can be added on top.
PREPARATION STEWED PEARS:
- Peel the pears and cut them into small pieces.
- Melt some butter in a large saucepan and lightly sauté the pears in it on medium heat for about 10 minutes, adding cinnamon.
- The fruity sweet topping saves you the extra sugar in the dough. If you make the recipe without a sweet garnish, you can add 1 tablespoon of honey to the dough.
- Freshly whipped cream or our cream kefir also goes very well with Kaiserschmarrn.
- With Einkorn and kamut we have achieved the best results so far. However, you can use any other cereal (except rye) for the dough.
Source reference: The new traditional diet – by Heidi Beeck and Esma Storck
Website link: https://www.die-neue-traditionelle-ernaehrung.de/