Can you smell how good this bread tastes?
Here you get the recipe for it. Homer himself ground the flour for the bread with the Salzburg hand mill. This is healthy bread that tastes good!
Recipe – Farmhouse Whole Grain Bread
125 g. sourdough (pp. 12—13)
1/2 l. lukewarm water
400 g. whole rye flour
800 g. whole rye flour
400 g. whole wheat flour
3 heaping t sea salt
2 T whole caraway seeds
1 T whole coriander
1 t anise seed
1 t whole fennel
1/2 t ground cardamom
3/4 l. lukewarm water
~100 g. caraway seeds for sprinkling
- Dissolve the sourdough in 1/2 l. of lukewarm water and stir in the freshly ground whole rye flour. Let it ferment for 12 hours at 30°—35° C (86°—95° F). Slicing into the risen preferment you should
see a strong network of bubbles.
- Set aside 125 g. (4 oz.) of the preferment for the next bread, kneading into it a little more whole rye flour for storage.
- Mix the sea salt and spices in a baking bowl with the freshly milled whole rye and whole wheat flour. Make a depression in the middle of the flour mixture for the preferment.
- Working from the center, mix the preferment with the surrounding flour mixture. Add the lukewarm water, and knead the dough until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl (10–15 minutes of kneading). Remove the dough, and sprinkle the bowl with whole grain flour.
- Return the dough and dust it with more of the flour. Cover thebowl, and put it in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 3 hours (the rising time depends on the degree of warmth).
- When the dough volume has increased about half and small cracks appear on its surface, turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Shape it into a loaf, close the seams, and place in a wellfloured proofing basket. Cover and put in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes. When the dough shows little cracks on its surface, it is time to score the loaf as follows.
- Turn the dough onto a baking sheet. Quickly brush it with water, cover with caraway seeds, and prick the entire surface several times with a fork or cut a 1-cm. deep cross in the middle 12 cm.
- Put the loaf on the second shelf from the bottom of a stove preheated to 250° C/482° F. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes at 250° C/482° F, an hour at 180°C/356°F, and 10 minutes more in the oven after the heat is turned off.
- Take the loaf from the oven. Quickly brush it with cold water, and place on a rack to cool for a day. You may leave it for 1—2 days longer.
- The given quantities yield a 2.7 kg. loaf.