Is my bread 100% whole grain?

Is my bread 100% whole grain?

Is my bread 100% whole grain?

For those who know the advantages of bread from whole grains and therefore prefer to buy whole grain bread, it is called: Eyes up when buying bread! Because how do you know what’s really in the bread you buy? Are there any sales tricks to watch out for? In today’s post, we’ll let you know more about this topic.

Bread sold as whole wheat in stores does not have to be 100% whole wheat flour. The minimum content of flour from the whole grain is 90%. The remaining 10% can be low-milled flours or even leftover bread.[1]

What also happens very often is that bread made from white flour is simply dyed dark. To make it more “attractive” for the Is my bread 100% whole grain?consumer and even to deceive him that it is “healthier”, the white bread – which has fewer vitamins and minerals than wholemeal bread – is given a dark color. For example, sugar couleur is added. Sugar couleur is a black food coloring. However, it is not only used in the production of breads. In fact, the best-known examples are probably cola drinks.

So if you want to be sure you have whole wheat bread made from 100% whole wheat flour, you should either take a close look at the ingredient list or ask the seller.

A tip from us: If the bread has a dark color, but you do not know the ingredients, then pay attention to the weight! Dyed white bread is much lighter than a real whole wheat bread.

And the best way to be sure that your bread is 100% whole grain is to bake it yourself. Because there you finally decide for yourself which flour to use.

With our
Salzburg grain mills
you can grind fresh flour at any time and nothing stands in the way of your self-baking!

Have a great day and here we have another whole wheat walnut bread recipe for you >>

[1] Koerber, K., Männle, T., Leitzmann, C. (2004): Whole food nutrition : conception of a contemporary and sustainable diet. Stuttgart: Haug, p. 241


Read more articles ...

Vollkorn vs. Weißmehl: Ein ernährungsphysiologischer Vergleich - Salzburger Getreidemuehlen

Whole grain vs. white flour: a nutritional comparison

Whole grain vs. white flour: a nutritional comparison Nutrition plays a central role in our physical well-being. Yet whole grain products have been the focus of nutritionists and health experts for years. But why actually? And how does whole grain differ from white flour? This article aims to provide a nutritional comparison between the two.

Read more "
Sauerteig vorbereiten: Omas bewährte Tipps, die Sie wissen sollten!

Prepare sourdough: Grandma’s tried and true tips you should know!

Prepare sourdough: Grandma’s tried and true tips you should know! Have you always been curious how to prepare traditional sourdough completely according to grandma’s recipe? You have come to the right place! We will show you how to do it without any effort and what you should pay attention to. Let grandma’s tried and true

Read more "
Die besten pflanzlichen Proteinquellen für eine gesunde Ernährung
Useful information

The best vegetable protein sources 🌿 for a healthy diet

Protein is an important building block for our bodies and plant sources of protein are a gift from nature. They are not only healthy, but also ethical and environmentally friendly. Why vegetable proteins? The importance of plant proteins for a healthy diet Not only are plant proteins an excellent alternative to animal proteins, they also

Read more "
Grain mill stories

Salzburg flour mill on board dream ship MS Berlin

Salzburger Mühle 1987 aboard Traumschiff MS Berlin and an enraged dispatcher who wanted to throw them off the train. Werner Ultsch still remembers his cruise on the MS Berlin today. Under no circumstances did the enthusiastic pioneer of wholefood cuisine want to give up his Salzburg grain mill when he set off from Innsbruck as

Read more "
Useful information

The importance of whole grain products in a balanced diet

The importance of whole grain products in a balanced diet A balanced and healthy diet is the key to a long and vital life. Here, whole grain products play an essential role. They are rich in important nutrients and help prevent various diseases and improve well-being. Whole grain products come from the whole grain, preserving

Read more "
Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top